Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Zucchini Recipe --- Zucchini Patties --- My favorite summer meal!

I love this time of year! Mostly because my husband's garden is starting to produce some really tasty vegetables. Believe it or not I enjoy zucchini.....particularly if they're picked before they get too big.
Growing up my mom always made these Zucchini Patties and I loved them then just as much as I do now.
I love them with sweet corn on the cob and a nice juicy watermelon.
Hands down my favorite summer meal!
I figured I'd share this summer treat with you and I hope you enjoy them too.
I wish my photography skills were a little better because I'm afraid I can't make them look as appetizing as they really are.

Zucchini Patties
2 small zucchini grated (about 2 cups)
4-6 eggs
1 sleeve crackers
1 1/2 cups grated cheese (Colby-jack is my favorite, my husband prefers pepper jack)
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
Olive Oil
Grate the zucchini. I leave the skin on but you can peel it if you like. Also a food processor would work great for this but I don't have one.
Add eggs. I used 6 because I have a large family and the eggs were on the small side.
Mix the eggs and zucchini with a fork.
I use a whole sleeve of crackers, it may take a little more or a little less. You'll know when you have enough if your mixture resembles very thick pancake batter.
Crumble the crackers into your zucchini egg mixture.
Add 1/2 tsp kosher salt. At this point you can add onion and peppers too but my family prefers it without
Mix everything with a fork....see thick pancake batter.
Add the grated cheese.
Heat a gurgle of olive oil (about a Tablespoon) in a skillet on medium to medium low heat.
Place a large spoonful of the mixture in the skillet, again, very similar to pancakes.
Let cook until golden brown (about 2 minutes) flip and cook on the other side.
When both sides are golden serve with fresh salsa, corn and watermelon.
I really hope you love them as much as I do!

No comments: