Sunday, October 2, 2011

When We Travel We Listen




We don't own a portable dvd player.
Part of traveling is seeing the country you're traveling through and hopefully/possibly absorbing it all.
So, instead of watching movies we listen to books on CD.
We've listened to the Series of Unfortunate Events, Charlotte's Web, Magic Tree house, Chronicles of Narnia, Harry Potter and various Lewis L'Amour  stories, to name a few.
On one of our road trips this summer we tried out a book middle son had been wanting to read.
It's called 100 Cupboards.
It's about a boy who is sent to live with his Aunt and Uncle in Kansas. He wakes up one morning to discover 99 cupboards on the wall in his bedroom. Eventually he discovers that each of these cupboards is a little window into another world....

We loved it. We enjoyed the author's imagery and we thought it had just enough action. In fact we enjoyed it so much that when we got home we looked it up online and discovered that it is in fact the first book in a trilogy and all three books have already been published!  (Score! That's the best time to start a trilogy - after they've all been published so you don't have to wait for the next one to come out). 
Anyway, we are now the proud owners of all three books. Well, my husband  is, he got them for Father's day. He was truly happy about it too. The hard part for me was waiting for him to finish the second book so I could read it. They were, after all, his books. But he was kind enough to not mind that I read the second book, well, and the third book at the same time as him. And, ummm, I may have ended up finishing them before him.

But the point is we've read them all. I have to say that the third book, Chestnut King, was my favorite.
And just so you know, the second and third books were too intense for our 7 year old so we didn't read them to him. He just has to vivid of an imagination, and I like my sleep and I knew if we read them to him we'd have more than a few sleepless nights.

So there you have it. My little travel recommendation and book review. 

Enjoy!




No comments: