Okay! So here is my second sewing kit that's been bouncing around in my brain!
It's a matchbook style.
Shhh...don't tell anyone but this one is my favorite
I love how it folds. I love how it looks. I love how it's compact and light weight. I love how it uses up scraps. I love it!
Do you want to make one or five....You really could make five pretty quickly.
- Card Stock: 3" x 6"
- Felt or Fleece: 3" x 5"
- Cotton Fabric for the outside: 4" x 6"
- Accent Cotton Fabric: 4"x 2.5"
- Fabric Scissors
- Paper Scissors
- Glue Stick
- Sewing Machine
Let's Get Started:
- Cut card-stock, fabric and felt to specified sizes.
- The 4" x 6" fabric will be the outside fabric.
- Cover one side of the card-stock liberally with the glue.
- Place Glue side down on the wrong side of the outside fabric.
- Leave approximately 1/2" of fabric on either side of the card and the top.
- The fabric will not cover 1/2" of the card on the bottom.
- Smooth the fabric on the card making sure there are no air bubbles or wrinkles in the fabric.
- With your sewing scissors notch out the corners of your fabric on the top edge of the card.
- Cutting parallel to the 6" side of the card cut straight in to the corner
- Then cut away from the corner at about 45 degrees.
- See picture above.
- Place glue on the 3" side of the card.
- Fold over the 1/2" of fabric and smooth it down to help it adhere to the card.
- Do the same for the 6" sides, folding over and smoothing the fabric tight around the corners.
- Working with the accent fabric mark and notch out rectangles.
- Mark in 1/2" on each side of the 4" side.
- Mark down 1" on the 2 1/2" side.
- Use the glue stick to glue the felt on the back of the card.
- The felt should line up with the edges of the card and cover the glued edges of the fabric
- There will be 1" of the card on the bottom that the felt will not cover.
- Glue the accent fabric to the inside (felt side) of the card as pictured above.
- Turn the card over and glue the accent fabric on the other side.
- Make sure the fabric is smooth.
- Turn the card over again and adhere the flaps to the card with the glue.
- This is what it should look like on the felt side and the outside.
- Top stitch on the outside as close to the edge as possible around the perimeter and the inside edge of the accent fabric.
- With the felt side up measure in 3/4" from the bottom edge.
- Mark and score along that line. (You can use a ruler or a crochet hook to score)
- (The photo was taken out of order that's why you can't see the top stitching.)
- Fold up the bottom edge where you scored the fabric and card.
- Sew through all thicknesses 1/4 from the folded edge to create the match-book flap closure.
- Fold the card in half, slide the top under the flap.
- When you've got it where you want it crease the new top fold tightly and you're done!
- Fill with your sewing essentials and you're all set to gift or go!
Let me know if you have any questions!