Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Traditions and Family Night and a Treat Recipe


I strongly believe that traditions are one thing that help bind a family together.
They are something to look forward to.
And something to look back on fondly.

Yep, I love'em!

I celebrated my birthday this past weekend and according to my 4 year old I am now 80 years old.
Because I'm, "Really, really, really old." as she so kindly put it.
I'm choosing to take it as a compliment because I think she means I have a lot of wisdom and experience;-).

When I was young my mom started a tradition of giving me a Christmas ornament on my birthday.
When I was little she'd put them on my birthday cake. My 5th birthday was amazing, she had a bunch of ice skating and sledding figurines and she made my cake look like an ice skating rink and a snowy hill. All edible of course. (I'll have to dig out the picture and scan it -- she's amazing).


My husband and children have continued this tradition....well they pick me out new ornaments, they don't put them on a cake however. That's okay with me.
I love how they (the kids) pick ones out that they like and it usually applies to what they're into at the time.
My youngest picked out the little Snowman baby pictured above.

We also have a tradition of getting a Christmas ornament when we travel places.
I have a set of Wedgwood Nativity Ornaments that we purchased at the Wedgwood Factory in Stoke On Trent England.
and
This summer we picked up a carved wooden whale in Friday Harbor Washington.

It makes decorating the tree so much fun.
As we pull each ornament out of the box we get to smile and remember what we were doing when we got that particular ornament.

It's one of the things that makes this season enchanting to me.


So we decorated our tree last night.
Every Monday night is Family Night (another tradition I guess you could say)
We have a lot of fun at family night.
Seriously never a dull moment at our house on Monday evening
Start with a prayer
show and tell
song(s)
lesson
activity (game)
treat
&
bed time

Even our teenagers look forward to it.....I think.....
Everyone gets to take turns being in charge of a different part of the evening.
Lately we've been on a Simon Says for game kick.
Yeah, the teenagers don't like this so much.
The elementary age kids think it's hilarious to make us do funny things.
Like
"Simon says, stand on one foot, pat your head, rub your belly, stick out your tongue and sing the ABC's"
When the teenagers complain we had to remind them that, once upon a time, when Grandma and Grandpa joined us for family night they had them dancing around the room like octopi.
Funny how they tend to forget things like that.
Anyway...
We did have to tell the younger kids that Simon Says it about trying to trick people to get them out not to make them look foolish for your enjoyment.

We all ended up laughing anyway.


I was on treat last night.
and
It was a hit, if I do say so myself.
This recipe comes from another Sister-In-Law (I have 10).
It's so simple and delicious and perfect for holiday get-togethers.
 I thought I'd share.

Creamy Carmel Fruit Dip
  • 8 ounces Cream Cheese softened
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract


Cream together and serve with fruit. 
Apples are my favorite.


Enjoy!
and
It's never too late to start a tradition!

P.S. I have a couple more holiday traditions I'll be sharing over the next couple of days.
What are some of yours?


No comments: